Pediatric Fainting, Dizziness, POTS Clinic (Syncope/POTS Clinic)
Pediatric Specialty Clinics, 2nd floor, American Family Children's Hospital
Our Pediatric Fainting, Dizziness, POTS Clinic (Syncope/POTS Clinic) at American Family Children's Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, evaluates and treats children and teenagers with fainting (syncope), dizziness, and POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome).
POTS Patient Guide (pdf)
About Our Services
- Fainting and dizziness can be caused by a number of things. The Pediatric Fainting and Dizziness Clinic investigates whether heart problems are causing a child's fainting and dizziness.
- Patients with POTS and/or chronic dizziness or fainting usually do not have life-threatening conditions, but they often require close monitoring and treatment. Our clinic provides these services.
Meet Our Provider
Erin received her master's in nursing at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and is certified as a pediatric nurse practitioner. Her passion is caring for children with congenital heart disease and their families. Her special interests include childr...
- Patients will be initially seen by a medical assistant or nursing assistant for vital signs and heart rate and blood pressure checks.
- Patients may receive an electrocardiogram
- An evaluation of medical history and an examination will determine if patients require further testing, including echocardiogram, exercise stress testing, and Holter monitor testing
- Tilt table testing is rarely used for children or adolescents with dizziness and fainting but may be considered. Our staff will discuss with you the benefits and drawbacks to a tilt table test.
- Health Facts for You: Neurocardiogenic Syncope/Vasovagal Syncope (Fainting)
- Kids Health: Fainting