Walk Our Children to School Week
Safe Kids Madison Area joins with Public Health Madison and Dane County and many school and law enforcement partners to coordinate Walk Our Children to School Week, an initiative aimed at improving driver behavior and teaching children to be safe pedestrians.
2012 Walk Week Calendar of Events
- Tuesday, October 2, 8:15am: Crestwood Elementary (5930 Old Sauk Rd., Madison ) will have all bused students dropped off at Owen Park and will walk in groups down to cross with the adult crossing guard.
- Wednesday, October 3
- 7:30am: Marquette Elementary (1501 Jenifer St., Madison) will launch their Walk Or Wheel (WOW) Wednesdays program. Students and parents will be encouraged to walk or bike to school on Wednesdays. Bussed students will go on walk around the school block with the Principal Pam Wilson.
- 7:40am: Westside Elementary (1320 Buena Vista Dr., Sun Prairie) will have four “walking school buses” followed by an assembly with the mayor, police chief, fire chief, EMS director and school district superintendent. Improvements made through Sun Prairie Public Works will be highlighted along the walks.
- Thursday, October 4
- 7:25am: Leopold Elementary (2602 Post Road, Madison) will have three “walking school bus” routes at three different locations.
- 7:30am: Northside Elementary (230 W. Klubertanz Dr., Sun Prairie) will have bussed students dropped off at Wetmore Community Park along with “walking school buses” followed by an announcement after the students are settled in their classrooms. Improvements made through Sun Prairie Public Works will be highlighted along the walk.
- 8am: Muir Elementary (6602 Inner Dr., Madison) students, parents and neighborhood residents will walk, bike or ride scooters to school. Students that walk, bike or scooter will receive a paper shoe to sign and post at the school. Walking school buses will also be taking place from various locations. 7
- Friday, October 5, 7:45am: Van Hise Elementary (4747 Waukesha Street, Madison) is promoting their year-round “walking school buses.” Bussed students will also be dropped off at Odana Road and Segoe and will walk as a group to school.
Safe Kids Coordinator
Safe Kids Madison Area Coalition
Public Health Madison & Dane County