Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This dish takes a while to cook, but it's easy to put together.
Prep time: 80 minutes
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 sweet pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb. lean ground turkey
- 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 c. frozen corn, thawed
- 1 c. milk
- 1/2 c. cornmeal
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 3/4 c. light cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (176ºC).
- In a large skillet, sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in vegetable oil for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add turkey to skillet and cook until browned. Drain excess fat from turkey.
- Pour tomato sauce, corn, and milk into the skillet.
- Stir well and heat through.
- Stir in cornmeal and chili powder.
- Pour into well-greased 2-quart casserole pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more.
- For the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle cheese over the dish.
- It is ready when a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
21 g protein
14 g fat
5 g sat fat
22 g carbohydrate
4 g fiber
73 mg cholesterol
464 mg sodium
213 mg calcium
2.5 mg iron
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Serve with rice and steamed vegetables.
Reviewed by: Allison Brinkley, RD, CNSC, LD/N
Date reviewed: July 2012