Your Health Insurance and UW Health/American Family Children's Hospital
Physicians Plus Insurance Corporation (PPIC) recently announced changes about coverage for care provided by some UW Health physicians and access to local UW Health facilities, including American Family Children's Hospital, UW Hospital and Clinics and UW Carbone Cancer Center.
After January 1, most care at these and other UW Hospital locations will require prior approval by PPIC. View a list of UW Health locations (pdf) showing:
- UW Medical Foundation and UW Department of Family Medicine locations
- UW Hospital and Clinics locations
- The limited number of specialties for which PPIC prior approval is not required for UW Hospital and Clinics locations
Please take time to talk with us and make an informed decision based on how the changes affect you.
We will do our best to assist you and to help you minimize any disruption to your care. You may also wish to talk with your employer about your options for switching to Unity Health Insurance, which offers unrestricted access to UW Health physicians and services. Learn more about Unity and UW Health at www.unityanduwhealth.com.
On this page you will find recent written communications about these changes from UW Health to PPIC members with primary care and specialty care relationships with UW Health physicians. We hope these letters will answer some of your questions.
For additional information, please contact our patient resources representatives at (608) 821-4819.
In July, we mailed letters to our patients who have PPIC health insurance and have a UW Health primary care physician.
Below is a list of UW Hospital and Clinics locations and the letter sent to PPIC members with primary care physicians at those locations:
- UW Health West Clinic, 451 Junction Rd., Madison
- UW Health East Clinic, 5249 East Terrace Dr., Madison
- UW Health University Station Clinic, 2880 University Ave., Madison
PPIC members with a primary care doctor at UW Medical Foundation or UW Department of Family Medicine location (listed below) also received a letter:
- UW Health 20 S. Park Clinic, 20 S. Park St., Madison
- UW Health Beaver Dam Clinic
- UW Health Belleville Family Medicine Clinic
- UW Health Columbus Clinic
- UW Health Cottage Grove Clinic
- UW Health Cross Plains Clinic
- UW Health DeForest-Windsor Clinic
- UW Health East Towne Clinic, 4122 East Towne Blvd., Madison
- UW Health Fitchburg Clinic
- UW Health Fort Atkinson Clinic
- UW Health Horicon Clinic
- UW Health Mt. Horeb Clinic
- UW Health Northeast Family Medical Center, 3209 Dryden Dr., Madison
- UW Health Odana Atrium Clinic, 5618 Odana Rd., Madison
- UW Health Oregon Clinic
- UW Health Portage Clinic
- UW Health Stoughton Clinic
- UW Health Sun Prairie Clinic
- UW Health Verona Clinic
- UW Health West Towne Clinic, 7102 Mineral Point Rd., Madison
- UW Health Yahara Clinic, 1050 East Broadway, Monona
During the first two weeks of September, patients who have been seen during the last 18 months by a UW Health specialist physician (for example, cardiology, dermatology or orthopedics) at a UW Hospital-owned location will receive a letter that addresses specialty care in more detail.
If you would like to speak with someone about your specific situation or concerns, you may contact a patient resources representative at (608) 821-4819.
Guaranteed Access to UW Health/American Family Children's Hospital
As always, the best way to ensure that you will have unrestricted access to UW Health doctors and services is to select Unity Health Plans, if possible, or, if Unity is not an option for you, another health plan that offers access to UW Health.