To help kids, and their parents, get in shape and stay in shape and commit to good health, the Pediatric Fitness Clinic developed a Fitness Contract.
Commit to staying fit by signing the Fitness Contract (pdf).
Four Simple Things You Can Do Together to Stay Healthy
The contract offers four simple things that parent(s) and children can do together to increase health and fitness:
- Limit sugary drinks
- Eat at least 2 servings of fruits and vegetables (it's less than the recommended amount, but it's a start!)
- Limit screen time to two hours or less each day (that includes television, computers, handheld game devices)
- Increase active living
Working together, parents and their kids can stay healthy and active.
The Pediatric Fitness team has compiled a list of delicious recipes that can help your child enjoy healthful meals and snacks - from summer snack recipes like fabulous fruit smoothies to healthy takes on meal classics like meatloaf and chili. For meal ideas, check out our Healthy Recipes for Kids.
Learn fun stretching and strength building exercise for kids
Being active is good for the whole family. There's all kinds of ways the family can stay fit and enjoy time together.
Other ideas for staying active include:
- Walk, instead of drive, to do errands whenever possible
- Ride your bike (and always wear your helmet)
- Plant a garden (and don't forget to weed it throughout the summer)
- Go for a picnic
- Take a trip to the beach
- Play frisbee
- Go canoeing in summer
- Go ice skating or cross country skiing in winter
- Hike in the woods. Wisconsin has numerous beautiful state parks.
- Visit the zoo
And always remember to protect your skin with sunscreen during any outdoor activity.
The kids activity pyramid (pdf) can help you get started with more ideas to bring activity into your week.