Lunch Box Makeover
UW Health's Pediatric Fitness Clinic helps all children and caregivers to develop healthier habits that lead to fit families.
Mix up lunch with a variety of sandwich, salad, skewer and stacker options. Each choice serves up a well-balanced and satisfying meal with at least three of the five food groups. These lunch ideas can also be cut in half for a smart snack.
Pile the goodies on to one or two slices of whole grain bread or English muffin, wrap them up in a whole grain tortilla, or stuff them in a whole wheat pita.
- Thanksgiving feast: Turkey breast with spread with leftover stuffing and dried or fresh cranberries.
- Tea time: Light spreadable cheese with sliced cucumber and dill.
- Vegetarian: Hummus spread with cucumber, grated carrot and lettuce.
- Mushroom Swiss: Sliced portabello mushroom with melted reduced fat swiss cheese and sliced onion.
- Caprese delight: Light mozzarella cheese with baby spinach, basil leaves and sliced tomato.
- Fiesta: Chicken breast with avocado, lettuce and salsa.
- Aloha: Lean ham with grilled pineapple, green pepper and onion.
- PB and B: Peanut butter with sliced banana.
- Pizza: Light mozzarella cheese with tomato sauce and baby spinach.
- Green machine: Chicken breast with baby spinach and pesto spread.
- Grilled cheese: Your choice of light cheese melted over sliced tomato and spinach.
Stack up the following ingredients or slide them on to a skewer.
- Italian: Cooked tortellini, mozzarella, cucumber and cherry tomatoes with a pesto dipping sauce.
- Wrap it up: Turkey and reduced-fat Swiss cheese wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla and skewered with apple slices or grapes.
- Burger on a stick: Line up meatballs made with ground turkey, reduced-fat cheddar cheese, cherry tomato, lettuce and pickle slices.
- Hawaiian: Lean ham with green pepper and pineapple chunks.
- Chef salad: Lean ham and turkey with reduced-fat cheese, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and croutons.
- Breakfast: Hardboiled egg with Canadian bacon, cubed whole wheat bread and baby spinach.
- Taco fresco: Chopped chicken breast with green pepper, onion, avocado and tomato with a side of baked tortilla chips.
And here's a tip: Ditch the grain and enjoy any of these options as a fresh vegetable salad.