Note: This recipe is especially for kids who must avoid gluten, a type of protein found in many foods.
This recipe is gluten-free, but it makes a hearty meal for anyone!
Prep time: 60 minutes
What you need:
- 1/4 cup butter, margarine, or olive oil
- 2 large onions
- 3 stalks of celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken broth (available at most health food stores)
- 2 cups water
- 6 large potatoes, cut in ½ inch cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (fresh ground pepper is preferred)
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix
- 2 cups of skim milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dill (finely chopped) or shredded cheese (optional garnishes)
What to do:
- Heat oil or butter in a large stockpot over low heat.
- Chop onions, celery, and garlic. (For a smooth soup, create a mash by running these ingredients through a blender or food processor.)
- Add mixture to oil and cook until onions are translucent or slightly caramelized.
- Add the chicken broth and water.
- Increase the heat to medium high and bring it to a boil.
Add the cubed potatoes to the boiling broth, and cook until tender (about 10–15 minutes).
- Crack eggs into a bowl.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the gluten-free flour until you have a golden yellow, sticky dough. (If the dough comes out dry, add some water until it is sticky.)
- Drop the dough by spoonfuls into the boiling broth, and they will expand and lighten in color. It only takes a few minutes for them to cook.
- After the dumplings have cooked, reduce heat to low.
- Add the milk.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with dill or cheese, if desired, and serve.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
- 231 calories
- 9g protein
- 7g fat
- 4g sat fat
- 34g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 77mg cholesterol
- 482mg sodium
- 123mg calcium
- 2mg iron
Serving size: 1 cup
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
If lactose intolerant, use margarine or olive oil and replace milk with 1 cup mashed potatoes (2 boiled and drained potatoes, mashed).