Note: This recipe is especially for kids with lactose intolerance, who need to limit or avoid dairy products.
Kids can still enjoy cheesy Mexican dishes by using lactose-free soy cheese. You'll be surprised at how well the soy cheese melts.
Prep time: 40 minutes
What you need:
- 2 6-ounce chicken breasts without skin
- 2 ounces jalapeño Jack soy cheese
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2/3 cup rice, cooked
What to do:
- Trim all fat from chicken breast.
- Place chicken breast in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the chicken.
- Cook chicken at 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, minced garlic, and onion. Simmer over low heat until chicken is ready to be served (approximately 30 minutes).
- Remove baking dish from oven and put 1 ounce soy cheese on each piece of chicken. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Serve chicken and rice with tomato sauce drizzled over the top.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 399 calories
- 8g fat
- 1g saturated fat
- 40g protein
- 39g carbohydrate
- 1g fiber
- 78mg cholesterol
- 1240mg sodium
- 370mg calcium
- 3.9mg iron
Serving size: 1 chicken breast, 1/3 cup of rice, and 1/2 cup of sauce
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider using low-sodium tomato sauce. Add green chilis or hot peppers to add some heat to your dish.