Neonatal Transfers to the Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The 26-bed, state-of-the-art Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at American Family Children's Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, provides care for premature and full-term neonatal infants requiring complex surgical interventions and/or subspecialty medical care.
To speak with a UW Health neonatologist or refer a baby, please call our Mother-Baby Care line.
Your call will be promptly answered by a nurse who will:
- Obtain vital information about the neonate
- Connect you to a UW Health neonatologist
- Arrange for the neonate to be transferred from your hospital or birthing center to American Family Children's Hospital or UnityPoint Health - Meriter in Madison
- Set up transportation with CHETA (Children's Hospital Emergency Transport Ambulance) or UW Med Flight helicopters
Information to Provide
To expedite the transfer process, please provide the following information to the nurse on the initial call:
- Patient's name
- Date and time of birth
- Gestational age
- Birth weight
- Current weight
- Diagnosis or condition
- Referring physician name and contact information
- Name and location of your hospital or birthing center
A member of our team will let you know when to expect the arrival of the critical care transport team/CHETA ambulance and to which of our NICUs your patient will be admitted.
Please fax the patient facesheet to (608) 890-7181.