Neonatal Transfers to the Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
The 14-bed, state-of-the-art Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at American Family Children's Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, provides care for premature and full-term neonatal infants requiring complex surgical interventions and/or subspecialty medical care.
To speak with a UW Health neonatologist or refer a baby, please call our Mother-Baby Care line.
Your call will be promptly answered by a nurse who will:
- Obtain vital information about the neonate
- Connect you to a UW Health neonatologist
- Arrange for the neonate to be transferred from your hospital or birthing center to American Family Children's Hospital or UnityPoint Health - Meriter in Madison via CHETA (Children's Hospital Emergency Transport Ambulance)
Information to Provide
To expedite the transfer process, please provide the following information to the nurse on the initial call:
- Patient's name
- Date and time of birth
- Gestational age
- Birth weight
- Current weight
- Diagnosis or condition
- Referring physician name and contact information
- Name and location of your hospital or birthing center
Please fax the patient facesheet to (608) 417-5777.