Child Life Internship Requirements and Application Materials
Summer: Postmarked by January 5
Fall: Postmarked by March 15
Spring: Postmarked by September 5
The American Family Children's Hospital Child Life Program follows the Association of Child Life Professionals' Internship Offer and Acceptance Dates
We only accept interns affiliated with a college or university.
All Child Life internship application materials must be postmarked by the deadline for consideration.
- Senior standing in an accredited college or university with all coursework completed
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Child Life
- Grade-point average of 3.0 in core classes
- A course in Medical Terminology
- Completed Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP) Eligibility Assessment with passing evaluation in 8/10 course requirements (must include In Progress Forms for any remaining course requirements)
- 100 hours of experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families
- 150 hours of experience with children and families in a hospital or health care setting, which includes a minimum 50-hour Child Life practicum under the supervision of a certified child life specialist
- Current résumé
- Completed Common Child Life Internship Application (pdf)
- College/university transcript (If internship is offered, an official transcript will need to be provided)
- Copy of ACLP Eligibility Assessment
- ACLP verification of hours forms must be completed for each hospital and healthcare setting at which hours were obtained
- Verification of Related Experience Hours
- Verification of Child Life Practicum Experience Hours
- Two letters of recommendation, in sealed envelope and signed
- One to be from hospital or healthcare setting
- One from an academic institution
- Child Life Internship Candidate Common Recommendation Form in sealed envelope and signed
- From practicum site supervisor (can be in same envelope as letter of recommendation if from same supervisor)
- Copy of checklist and answers to additional questions (pdf)
Mail all application materials by the deadline to:AFCH Child Life Internship Program
American Family Children's Hospital
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792-C500
Once applications are reviewed, qualified candidates will be selected for an interview on-site or via WebEx (online video conferencing).
Upon acceptance of the internship, interns are required to complete all paperwork for the onboarding process prior to start of internship including: current affiliation agreement between UW Health and university, caregiver background check, health screening information, signed confidentiality agreement and UW Health's online Safety and Infection Control (SIC) training.
This internship is accredited by the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP), under the direction of Certified Child Life Specialists.