Child Life Internship Requirements and Application Materials
Summer: Postmarked by January 5
Fall: Postmarked by March 16
Spring: Postmarked by September 5
The American Family Children's Hospital Child Life Program follows the Association of Child Life Professionals' Internship Offer and Acceptance Dates
We only accept interns affiliated with a college or university.
All Child Life internship application materials must be postmarked by the deadline for consideration.
- Senior standing in an accredited college or university with all coursework completed
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Child Life
- Grade-point average of 3.0 in core classes
- A course in Medical Terminology
- Completed Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP) Eligibility Assessment with passing evaluation in all areas except clinical requirements
- 100 hours of experience with well infants, children, youth and/or families
- 100 hours of Child Life practicum, volunteering or work experience with children in a hospital or healthcare setting
- Current résumé
- Completed Common Child Life Internship Application (pdf)
- College/university transcript (If internship is offered, an official transcript will need to be provided)
- Copy of ACLP Eligibility Assessment
- ACLP verification of hours forms must be completed for each hospital and healthcare setting at which hours were obtained
- Verification of Related Experience Hours
- Verification of Child Life Practicum Experience Hours
- Two letters of recommendation, in sealed envelope and signed
- One to be from hospital or healthcare setting
- One from an academic institution
- Copy of checklist and answers to additional questions (pdf)
Mail all application materials by the deadline to:AFCH Child Life Internship Program
American Family Children's Hospital
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792-C500
Once applications are reviewed, qualified candidates will be selected for an interview on-site or via WebEx (online video conferencing).
Upon acceptance of the internship, interns are required to complete all paperwork for the onboarding process prior to start of internship including: current affiliation agreement between UW Health and university, caregiver background check, health screening information, signed confidentiality agreement and UW Health's online Safety and Infection Control (SIC) training.