Farmers' Market Cafe
The Farmers' Market Café is located on the main floor of the American Family Children's Hospital and features custom-made sandwich, salad and beverage selections that are delicious and healthy. Our café demonstrates our commitment to not only provide delicious food selections but also to lead the way in modeling food choices for our patients, families and visitors.
At American Family Children’s Hospital, we believe that all children deserve to eat healthy food, especially when ill or recovering from trauma. Accordingly, Farmers’ Market Café selections will feature the My Smart Choice label to highlight healthy choices and serve local, nutritious produce, meat and dairy products.
- My Smart Choice: All Farmers' Market selections are My Smart Choice items, meaning they are healthy food and beverage options that meet standards established by UW Hospital and Clinics Clinical Nutrition staff and guided by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Buy Fresh, Buy Local: As part of our commitment to health and the local community, the Farmers' Market will feature as much fresh, local and seasonal produce as possible. With this initiative American Family Children's Hospital supports sustainability, as the average food miles for Market produce is only 56 miles, while offering better taste and nutrition, as fresh fruits and vegetables consumed immediately after harvest have more nutrients and better flavor.
The Need for Healthy, Fresh Food
- Obesity/Overweight: Today, nearly a third of children are overweight or obese, and the rates of childhood obesity have more than tripled in the past 30 years, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Taking the steps to combat obesity in childhood will pay off immensely once kids reach adulthood.
- Sustainability: The average food miles for produce to reach the institutional market is 56 miles for local produce, compared to 1,494 miles for conventional produce. Organic farming protects our soil, air, and water for generations to come. The Farmers’ Market Café is committed to serving local, organic ingredients whenever possible.
- Supporting Local Farmers: America loses 330 farmers every week, with some 3,000 acres of productive farmland lost to development each day. By supporting Wisconsin farmers, we are helping to support a more viable and profitable industry, as well as preserving Wisconsin’s rich agricultural history.
- Better Taste and Nutrition: Did you know fruit and vegetables can spend up to 7-14 days in transit before arriving at your table? Locally grown seasonal fruits and vegetables are usually sold 24-48 hours after being harvested. Fresh vegetables and fruits consumed immediately after harvest contain more nutrients and have exceptional flavor.