Issues that Pediatric Health Psychologists Help Address
Pediatric Health Psychologists at American Family Children's Hospital recognize the importance of helping families cope emotionally with the multiple challenges illness or injury can create.
We believe it is critical to pair psychological and social support and intervention with a child's medical care. Among the specific issues Pediatric Health Psychologists help address are:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (Primary and Secondary)
- Grief Counseling
- Cognitive changes associated with injury or illness
- Minimizing disruptions of injury upon school performance, peer relationships and family functioning
- Discipline and parenting
- Patient support and adjustment to chronic illness
- Sibling adjustment issues such as jealousy, anger, conflict, worry, academic changes
- Parent adjustment as relates to work, physical health, mood, parenting, marital relationships
Pediatric Health Psychologists provide teaching and referrals when appropriate. Psychologists are also available for group, individual and family therapy.