American Family Children's Hospital's juvenile diabetes specialists in Madison, Wisconsin, provide inpatient and outpatient treatment and education for children diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and a variety concerns often related to growth or pubertal development.
Our staff adheres to a truly multidisciplinary concept, relying upon the talents of pediatric endocrinologists, certified diabetes educators, pediatric nurse practitioners, nutritionists, social workers and psychologists when necessary.
We offer a number of services to our patients, including:
- Assessment, education and screening for complications associated with Type 1 diabetes mellitus, performed according to American Diabetes Association Clinical Practice Recommendations
- Extensive insulin pump program which initiates pump therapy on an outpatient basis
- Day-long educational seminars for children and families concerning insulin pumps, "off to college" topics and athletes who have diabetes
- Use of continuous glucose monitoring sensors and the GlucoWatch monitoring system
- Visiting nurse services and communication with school nurses and pre-school/day care providers
- Evaluation and treatment of a wide range of endocrine gland conditions, including those of the thyroid, adrenal and pituitary glands
- Coordination of care between UW Health pediatric endocrinologists and your child's primary physician