Banana Oat Muffins
2 C whole wheat flour
1 C rolled oats
½ C brown sugar
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
½ t salt
½ t nutmeg
1 t cinnamon
2 (1 ½ cups) over-ripe bananas, mashed
¼ C tub margarine, melted
1 t vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In medium bowl, stir together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine the bananas, eggs, vanilla and melted margarine.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center muffin comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition Tip: Most muffins resemble dessert instead of breakfast. Decrease the amount of sugar found in muffins by using pureed or mashed fruits (such as apples, prunes, dates or bananas) or sugar substitutes. By choosing fruit you will also gain extra vitamins and fiber.
Fun Fact: Bananas and other fruits give off a gas (ethylene gas) to help them ripen naturally. Bananas will last longer when separated (torn apart). To help them last even longer, store them in different parts of the refrigerator.