Roasted Smashed Crispy Potatoes
8 small (2” diameter) red potatoes (about 1¼ pounds)
¼ cup olive oil
Kosher salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large cooking pot, cook potatoes in salted water just until fork tender. Remove from pan and place on a rack to dry.
- While potatoes are cooking, preheat oven to 475 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking pan with aluminum foil. Cover foil with parchment paper. (If you do not have parchment paper, it does work to use only the aluminum foil.) Using a pastry brush, coat parchment paper or foil with olive oil.
- Place one of the cooked potatoes on the baking pan. Press down firmly with the palm of your hand to smash the potato. If potatoes are still hot, use a folded towel under your hand. If potatoes are more than 2 inches in diameter, cut the potatoes in half before smashing them on the baking pan. (Smash potatoes with skin side up.) Continue to smash each potato on the pan.
- Using the pastry brush, coat each potato with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper to taste. Lightly sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 25 - 35 minutes or until potatoes are very crisp.
- Makes four to six servings.