Garden Tomato-Dill Soup
3 T olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1 T minced garlic
½ t ground allspice
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
6 cups chicken broth
1 blender-full (about 28 ounces) pureed fresh tomatoes – place unpeeled tomatoes, quartered, in blender and process
1 t sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh dill sprigs, for garnish
Plain Greek yogurt, for garnish
Makes eight servings
- Heat oil over medium heat in a heavy pot. Add the onions and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the allspice over the onions and cook 1 minute longer.
- Add half of the dill. Add the broth, tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining dill. Adjust seasonings.
- Can be served hot or chilled (chill in refrigerator overnight). Before serving, garnish with a dollop of yogurt and a sprig of dill.
- Soup can also be frozen for future use.