Hearty Tortellini and Vegetable Soup
Recipe courtesy of the Women's Health InitiativeIngredients
1 cup water
2 (14.5-ounce) cans vegetable broth
1 cup frozen beans
2 large carrots, sliced
1 tsp crushed garlic
2 tsp dried basil
½ tsp black pepper
1 (9-ounce) package cheese ravioli or tortellini
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian recipe stewed tomatoes
Note: If your kids are not accustomed to large chunks of vegetables, use a food processor to coarsely chop the beans and carrots, then also use to puree the tomatoes so there are no chunks.
- Combine ingredients and serve immediately.
- In a large pan, combine all ingredients except ravioli. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, or about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and heat to simmer.
- Add ravioli or tortellini and simmer another 10 minutes.