½ c. bulgur (a whole wheat product available in the bulk section or natural foods aisle)
10 oz. squash puree (available in freezer section - thaw, drain excess moisture before adding - or use leftover cooked and mashed winter squash)
1 envelope onion gravy mix
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. pepper
1 lb. ground beef (ground chuck or ground round are leaner)
Makes eight servings
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare a 13x9 pan by lightly oiling or spraying.
- Beat eggs in a bowl, then add all remaining ingredients except ground beef. Mix well.
- Add ground beef and combine with other ingredients using your hands. Divide into four sections and shape into loaf. Place each in the pan at least ½ inch apart.
- Bake 40 minutes or until cooked through.
- To freeze loaves to use later, remove from oven after 25 minutes, cool a bit, then wrap and freeze. Frozen loaves should be thawed in the refrigerator the night before and baked 30 minutes or until heated through.