Skillet Tofu Parmigiana
¼ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
One 14-ounce package firm or extra-firm water-packed tofu, rinsed
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. salt
2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 small onion chopped
8 ounces white mushrooms, thinly sliced
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp. dried basil
- Place bread crumbs in shallow dish.
- Cut tofu lengthwise into ¼” steaks and pat dry. Sprinkle both sides of the tofu with garlic powder and salt and then dredge in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and begin to brown, 4 minutes more. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to the pan. Add the tofu steaks and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn over and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the tofu, pour marinara sauce over the mushrooms and scatter mozzarella on top.
- Cover and cook until the sauce is hot and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve.
- Makes 4 servings