The First Visit to the Pediatric Fitness Clinic
- You and your family will be asked to fill out a few forms, so we can better understand your day-to-day habits.
- You will be given a three-day food and exercise log to fill out before your next visit.
- You may also be asked to have specific tests completed.
We recommend monthly visits to check-in on your progress and to talk about your goals. Families who come every month have the most success. Most patients are in the program for six months to two years before graduating. This is a commitment to your health.
Your role on this journey is to:
- Come to all of your clinic appointments, or call at least two days in advance to reschedule.
- Take an active part in setting goals as a family to promote healthy habits and positive changes in your home.
- Be ready to work with us to help you and your family achieve better health by bringing your Pediatric Fitness folder and tracking sheets to every appointment.
The Pediatric Fitness Clinic hopes that you will:
- Discover a mindful meal pattern for you and your family.
- Enjoy moving on your own and together with your family.
- Understand how too much screen time, poor sleep and stress can affect your health.
- Practice healthy habits and see changes in your body over the next six months.
- Enjoy working with our Pediatric Fitness Team to experience a healthier you.
What Not to Expect
The UW Health Pediatric Fitness Program is based on the latest research on treatment of overweight and metabolic issues in children and families. Our team will not be prescribing extreme diets or calorie counting. We also discourage monitoring your weight at home. We focus on building lifelong habits and believe that a healthier weight and improved health is achieved through these habits.
Parents interested in the program should contact their insurance provider for benefit information prior to scheduling the first appointment. If your insurance company requires a referral for this visit, please ask your child’s doctor to submit a referral electronically or via fax. If they have any questions, they can call (608) 890-8562.
The clinic serves children from 5 to 18 years of age who have concerns related to their overall fitness, ability to exercise, sensory issues that affect their nutrition, history of high cholesterol, blood sugar, or insulin, or who simply want to get fit. Note that the clinic will see patients outside of the listed age range above. For special circumstances, please call (608) 890-8562.