Education and Online Resources for Families
At American Family Children's Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin, we promise to do everything possible to promptly treat your child's pain and discomfort.
The following resources are available to help families deal with a variety of situations they encounter when a child is experiencing pain in the course of his or her medical treatment.
Pediatric Pain Management Health Facts for You
- Using Pediatric Pain Scales
- Faces Legs Activity Cry Consolability Revised Scale (FLACC-R)
- Faces Pain Scale
- Neonatal Infant Pain Scale (NIPS)
- Numeric Rating Scale
- Non-Drug Pain Control for Kids
- Topical Lidocaine
- Sweet-ease for Infant Pain Relief
Preparing Your Child for Surgery
Tips and Resources for Parents
Good pain control provides relief but allows the child to participate in activities. We believe that the majority of patients can achieve good pain control through a balanced approach that uses a combination of techniques. Learn more:
- Pain Management Tips for Parents - Distraction techniques, heat and cold application, massage, environment, etc.
- Buzzy Bee Saves the Day - This online book educates parents and kids about the non-drug resources available to help during painful procedures, such as IV starts, immunizations/shots, glucose checks and insulin injections.
- Taking the Ouch Out of Immunizations