Surgical Treatment of Vesicoureteral Reflux (VUR)
When necessary, UW Health pediatric urologists in Madison, Wisconsin, treat vesicoureteral reflux using surgical treatment.
Surgical intervention is necessary if:
- Prophylactic antibiotics are not working
Or if there is:
- A worsening of reflux
- Noncompliance or difficulty with administering antibiotics
- A case of severe reflux
Additional reasons for surgery include:
- Advanced age without resolution of reflux
- Deterioration of renal function or failure of renal growth
- Presence of other congenital abnormalities
The two surgical options for correction of VUR are:
Both procedures are performed with general anesthesia at University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics.